For the Ryan R. Gibbs Photography Contest, New Delta Review seeks a series of 5-11 photographs to be featured in Issue 8.2. Together, the photographs should tell a story, or be centered on a unified theme of the artist’s choosing. This contest goes hand-in-hand with our flash fiction contest, which seeks a full narrative in 1,000 words or less.
Check out last year’s winning series, Gazelle Naghshbandi’s All Are Immigrants, here.
Judge: Paul Mpagi Sepuya
Prize: $400 and publication in Issue 8.2 of NDR
Deadline: February 22, 2018
Entry Fee: $10 (free on February 22!)
Additional Submission Guidelines:
- All entries must be the original, previously unpublished work of the entrant.
- Each entry must be accompanied by an entry fee.
- Each entrant can submit a maximum of two separate entries.
- All work must be submitted through Submittable.
- Send only high quality med-res JPG files.
- Please submit 5-11 photographs as JPG or as a single zip file.
- Submissions will first be looked at by the staff of New Delta Review, who will select the finalists. These works will be passed on to our judge.
- Family, friends and previous students of the judge are ineligible for participation. Current students and faculty of LSU are also ineligible.
About this year’s judge:
Paul Mpagi Sepuya (b. 1982, San Bernardino, CA) lives and work in Los Angeles, where he received an MFA in photography at UCLA in 2016. From 2000-2014 Sepuya resided in New York City, receiving a BFA from New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts in 2004 and participating in Artist-in-Residence programs at the Lower Manhattan Cultural Council, the Center for Photography at Woodstock, The Studio Museum in Harlem and Fire Island Artist Residency.
Sepuya’s work is in the permanent collections of the Museum of Modern Art, the Whitney Museum of American Art, the Guggenheim Museum, the Studio Museum in Harlem, the International Center for Photography, the Cleveland Museum of Art, the Milwaukee Art Museum and the Carnegie Museum, among others. Recent solo exhibitions include “Dark Room” at team (bungalow), Los Angeles and “Figures, Grounds and Studies” at Yancey Richardson Gallery, New York City, and group shows at the New Museum, Callicoon Fine Arts and Sikkema Jenkins & Co., in New York City. He will be participating in “Being : New Photography 2018” at the Museum of Modern Art, New York City, opening this coming Spring.
Sepuya’s work has been reviewed in ARTFORUM, The New Yorker, Art Review, Frieze, Hyperallegic and The Nation, and he is a recipient of the 2017 Rema Hort Mann Foundation’s grant for emerging Los Angeles artists.
Upcoming museum exhibitions: “Being : New Photography 2018” Museum of Modern Art, NY. Opening March 13.
About Ryan R. Gibbs: This award is in honor of Ryan R. Gibbs (1981-2012), a gifted editor for New Delta Review, an incredible writer of fiction and screenplays, a talented photographer, and, above all, a dear friend. New Delta Review is honored to host this annual award, which was made possible by a generous endowment from his parents, in his name.